Thursday 18 March 2010

Car Boot Beauty

Thursday only means one thing in our house, my favourite car boot sale! The alarm is set for an early start, my outfit is laid out in advance and the change jar's been emptied in readiness for some cheap purchases.



To be honest I wasn't sure whether this beautiful 1970's Kati for Laura Philips maxi dress may have been a bit "Little House On The Prairie" for me but at 40p I took a risk and it fits like a dream.

I don't think my Mum's friend knew what was going on as she chanced upon me leaning up against a tree whilst Jon took photographs. I fear J's explanation of "she's blogging" left her even more confused.

Other curious finds included this religious plaster statuette which cost £1, she cut rather a sad little figure on her own. I picked up the vintage biscuit tin, packed full of buttons and broken jewellery for £2. 


The 1970's psychedelic knitting bag was £3 and contained a length of yellow pom-pom trimmed braid. The ankle length wellies were 50p but probably won't be much use in the Glastonbury mud.


 Our garden is a bit of a wilderness. It's over a hundred feet long and has 27 trees, fourteen of which have protection orders on them which means no pruning without permission from our local council, lots of shade and a full-time job sweeping the leaves up.
The antique dovecote is in dire need of restoration but each time we think about it our feathered friends have beaten us to it and made it into a home.

20 comments:

  1. The dress is absolutely stunning on you! I am super pleased that the car boots are starting up again for the year, i'm going to my first one of 2010 on Sunday!
    I love the image with the tins & buttons, both of which I have a huge weakness for! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there-the dress is a vintage dream, you look totally gorgeous in it-40p, you know how to get the bargains my dear!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful dress on you, I love the fit.
    And a 100ft garden? Lucky you! guess it's a lot of work but wow, my dogs would love that!! and I would, love the dovecote also.

    X xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing garden, so jealous!! And that dress looks beautiful on you! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohhh i love the drsss. You can really pull things off that not many others can! I would also love to live in your house, the garden looks and sounds amazing x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am in love with those ankle wellies! Surely the chicest way to navigate a muddy field? Love the thought of you casually leaning against a tree while passersby look on, confused. Definitely part and parcel of fashion blogging! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your car boot sale purchases, I'd love to see what the inside of your house looks like because with all those curios and bits of vintage treasure I think it would be my idea of heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You manage to make that dress look so sophisticated!
    Your garden looks lovely, can we have more pics please? I love trees =) x

    ReplyDelete
  9. 40p - you must be kidding! You look amazingly elegant in it. They other finds are nice, too. No wonder it's your favourite car boot sale.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm coming to the conclusion that you could make a bin bag look good my dear, you have such a fantastic eye, I would have turned my nose up at a dress like that thinking it was a bit granny but boy are you opening my eyes to the world of style. Stunning vic. And great finds at the carboot xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, that color with YOUR coloring (eyes & hair)! Beautiful, beautiful dress on a lovely woman in a beautiful setting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am crazy for the statuette,the frock,the tins,and the garden!!Your world is like a fantasy come true!!
    I love Ganesh the best too!!I even have a Ganesh ring.
    HelgaXXX

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think this is my favourite outfit ever, I love it so much. You look beautiful in it too.
    Vicki xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I so wish I had your vision - I snuck into a couple of charity shops recently, inspired by your finds and found absolutely nothing. Perhaps I need to look with different eyes. Great outfit x

    ReplyDelete
  15. So fabulous dress as usual !!! Thank you my sweet Vix for your comment. I hope I can be back soon !

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful dress, it looks great on you! And great purchases :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. You look like a dream in that dress. It is so beautiful on you. The color is stunning. This is why I adore you! If I wore this dress, I would look absolutely ridiculous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I don't think the dress is too 'Little House On The Prairie' at all.
    I think it's really elegant with a whimsical twist...just perfect!
    I love all your other finds too, the statue scores highly with me cause I adore religious kitsch.
    ...xXx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow your garden looks so magical and mysterious-wold love to see more posts and pics about it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and for leaving a message. Please don't be anonymous, I'd love it if you left a name (or a nom de plume).

Lots of love, Vix