Thursday 11 March 2010

Car Boot Booty!

1960's "Astraka" faux leopard coat (Church Fete), Roland Cartier boots (Charity shop), Jewellery (India)

An early start for me this morning, in readiness for those springtime bargains awaiting at the local car boot sale, so please excuse the haggard demeanour. The weekly Thursday boot sale has to be my favourite hunting ground, with a mostly retired clientelle and therefore very little interest in the kind of retro tat I'm drawn to. Most of the stallholders are house clearance dealers, with battered transit vans and broken suitcases you just have to get down and dirty rummaging in. 

Here's today's finds:

Good Housekeeping magazine, February 1956 edition complete with a special pull-out Bacon and Ham cookery brochure and features on spring hair fashions and poodle grooming. There's some gorgeous full page colour adverts which I shall frame once I've read up on a few housekeeping tips. Price: 50p


1980's Christian Dior 10 denier stockings : 10p

Four pristine tea towels. My heart always goes aflutter at the sight of vintage household linen. I may remake the rose printed pair into a shopping bag. Price: £1 the lot.

1950's plaster horse head lamp. A couple of dinks but nothing a little wood dye can't solve. He weighs a ton, has a green felt base and stands nearly 2 feet in height. Price: £2

Two pairs of 1950's Dubarry nylon stockings "Guaranteed Non-Run". Great Parisienne sketch on the front. 50p for the two pairs.

Pair of deliciously kitsch plaster Poodle wall plaques. Made in England. 1950's era. 50p for the pair.

Faux tortoiseshell musical box with a celluloid dancing girl. Her legs are jointed at the hip so she wiggles when she rotates to "Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head". 
 What a beauty! Hope I look that good at her age. Price: £2


25 comments:

  1. I will never grow tired of admiring your outfits and things. You have such exquisite, whimsical taste!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's ALL too wonderful, but I really covet that piano! I have a small collection of pianos and gave piano lessons for many years.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything is fabulous !
    I'm jealous !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those tea towels are so cheery and pretty and perfect for spring!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Omg! My nana had a music box like that! Oh my I remember playing with it so much as a child...can still hear that tinkly raindrops keep falling on my head! I feel all emotional....you have such a good eye for bargains!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I love the tea towels and the vintage magazine. I would do just the same as you with them.
    XXX

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi there-very well done indeed, you certainly have a shrewd and stylish eye for all things vintage!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Vix, thank you for the award! I'm blogging it today.

    I can't tell you how much I want a magazine, any magazine, with a pull out section on cooking with bacon and ham. I love that it has poodle grooming tips inside too. I'm such a sucker for vintage publications. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful haul! Don't suppose you fancy keeping an eye out for bargain size 8 maxi dresses?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooh those teatowels are amazing! Gotta love a classic vintage floral pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What fabulous finds, especially those Dior tights, I don't know if I'm any good at car boots as I don't have much patience for rummaging. I admire your diligence it was a worthwhile trip xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the tea cloths - the colours are gorgeously lush. Its a shame there never seems to be anything like carboots where I live - or maybe i'm just not looking in the right places.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my GOD! Vix! These are my favourite finds EVER! The poodle heads! The horse lamp! THE MUSIC BOX!! I actually cannot think of anything better than a music box that plays Burt Bacharach while a little lady dances!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Incredible finds. Perhaps I'm a bit naive on the vintage sector, but who would have thought nylons from the 50s still existed?!

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh I am so envious of your finds! I especially love the teatowels, I am always drawn to fabric at a boot sale.... love it!
    The poodle heads are insane, I love them too much! :D
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. I agree with Jen, these are all AMAZING! I am so jealous of the horse lamp.

    I actually feel pangs of jealousy and a bit nauseous that I am missing out on all this car-booting! Haha. I am going to one this weekend hopefully :D x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the tea towels. Love them, love them, love them. You've spurred me on to car boot at the weekend - I've a couple of table-top sales sorted out too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. love that fur coat!!!

    xoxo jenna
    http://thepetiteblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  19. I ADORE all of your vintage finds, especially that coat - you look fabulous in it & it's a definite keeper! :D


    MELANIELIKES.BLOGSPOT.COM
    Follow?<3

    ReplyDelete
  20. Scores!!Hurrah for Thursdays!Those poodle heads are seriously amazing.I'm quite jealous!And the Good Housekeeping,and the horse lamp!Shazzam!!!
    Helga XXX
    PS-your Mother is cruel to taunt you!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Amazing finds Vix, well worth the early start!
    What an utterly darling music box.
    I definitely think that the towels would make a beautiful shopping bag.
    ...xXx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love the finds but the rose tea towels are divine!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great finds! I especially like that musical box & the horse lamp :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks for your comments, ladies!
    I love the car boot season. Roll on next Thursday.
    Vix
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  25. I think i'm in love with the little music box! x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and for leaving a message. Please don't be anonymous, I'd love it if you left a name (or a nom de plume).

Lots of love, Vix